Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2017 10:29 pm  #1

PredictWind and Expedition interface

Predictwind have just released a new Windows Offshore App.  The normal way to bring PW grib files into Expedition is to download in Offshore App, then go to Expedition Weather/Settings/Grib Folder and load them in that panel.
However Mr Microsoft has struck, and the PW grib files can't be directed by PW into Downloads anymore.  They now get sent to a C:/Users/sub/sub/sub/sub folder, a PITA to find.
The easiest way to find this subfolder is through Offshore App (View/Show Downloads).  Then either copy and paste the link each time in Expedition Weather panel, or create a shortcut to your desktop.
There is a short demo on PW website here:
http://share.predictwind.com/2u340S1j3U1Xhttp://share.predictwind.com/2u340S1j3U1X

10/22/2017 2:42 pm  #2

Re: PredictWind and Expedition interface

Duncan,
I must be missing something here...why can't you just go to the Weather tab in Exp and choose Predictwind in the Grib Data Source area?  I only have the basic PW package but it works fine for me.
Ernie

10/22/2017 11:08 pm  #3

Ernie, PW have 2 products, Basic and Pro (not sure about the names).  PRO gives access to 1km 7 day PWE and PWG gribs, which cover coastal areas.  Within Expedition, and IF you have a Pro sub, the left-click-and-outline approach inside Expedition only gives you 8 km models, if you right click somewhere on your track in Expedition, you get only a single 1 km models, dependent on where you click.
So Offshore App, within which you first draw a track, gives you a complete set of gribs for your route, however long.
At least this is how I've worked it out.

10/23/2017 4:35 am  #4

OK, I get it...
It seems like that is something that they would want to fix. Even with the Basic package, I have to enter a password etc so it can't be too far off.   Maybe you and/or Nick could nudge them with an email.
support@predictwind.com

We were thinking of adding an upgrade package for next year but not if it's gonna be a big hassle.
Cheers,
Ernie

10/23/2017 11:53 am  #5

Just need to correct that.

Wherever you click on the chart, Exp will give you the option of the 8 or 1km models. If a 1km model doesn't cover the area and an 8km one does, it will only show the 8km.

10/26/2017 7:30 am  #6

Duncan if you find it easier using the offshore app just create a short cut in the expedition grib folder that has the path to the new download folder you are always one click from the top level of the predictwind grib folder then.

10/31/2017 10:07 pm  #7

Keith, that is a great tip! Thanks.

12/13/2017 7:35 pm  #8

Just a quick update.  New version of Offshore App (Version 3.0.x) enables the user to specify the target folder they want to save files to, so a major improvement in access.
Cheers

12/14/2017 1:17 pm  #9

so, whether i draw a box.., or right click.. the only options i have are PWG and PWE at either 1deg or 0.5 deg.

i don't get an option for either the 1km or 8km PWE/PWG or the 9km ECMWF...

it sounds like the 9km ECMWF is only available through the app.., but what should i do so that i can get the 1 and 8km models?
i have a pro subscription and am right clicking or drawing boxes where the 1 and 8km models are available.

12/14/2017 3:54 pm  #10

There is no ECMWF option in Exp for PW as they weren't interested.

I use the Great Circle service for ECMWF which seems more fully featured anyway. Sydney Hobart example:

​PW is useful for their higher resolution data if you are interested in thermal or land effects but I can't see any benefit in their larger scale models over GFS/ECMWF/AROME/ICON etc.

​Don't forget Saildocs. Apart from being free, ​it is still the best GFS service available.

Last edited by Nick (12/14/2017 7:52 pm)

Board footera