Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2017 1:13 am  #1

Several current gribs(different resolution)-wich one taken by routing?

Hello,
1) For a long distance race there are several current grib files available. A high resolution one with 1h time step covering the area of the first sailing day and a global one (3h timestep) for the rest of the race. The global one is also covering the same area as the local high resolution model.
When I activate both current gribs for a routing of the whole course, does Expedition automatically select the high resolution model where available and switch to the global one for areas not covered by the high resolution model?

2) When handling big grib files my computer crashes from time to time. Even though I chose "save settings" regularly the selected grib files in weather / settings are not saved. Also the weather layer settings are not saved. After each crash I have to reimport all gribs and adjust the layer settings which is time consuming. 

When closing Expedition and selecting "close and save settings" the weather data and layers are saved properly. I'd expect that "save settings" would do exactly the same, just without having to close and restart the application.

8/13/2017 9:54 pm  #2

Re: Several current gribs(different resolution)-wich one taken by routing?

Exp will use the most recent forecast as each time step. If there are two of the same forecast time, it will use the higher resolution.

​So, you should be careful mixing different resolutions.

8/14/2017 4:15 am  #3

Ok,
So when I have a local high resolution model just covering the first part of the race and a coarse model covering the whole area it will either
a) take the coarse model for the whole routing when it is the more recent one and ignore the high res model
or
b) will take the high resolution model for the first part and then continue wit the coarse model for the remaining routing steps when the high res model is the more recent one

Correct?

Last edited by nav (8/14/2017 4:17 am)

8/14/2017 12:37 pm  #4

Yes, except in case b if you have a coarse model step at a time not covered by the higher resolution model

Board footera