Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2017 7:30 am  #1

Track point 0E,0N occasionally being added to track display.

Seems related to daily power up (down) of the vessel's electronics?  ... a Zeus/Triton package using an Actisense USB converter to feed Exp.  I can provide a track file for debugging if needed.

Cheers

7/23/2017 10:08 am  #2

Re: Track point 0E,0N occasionally being added to track display.

Presumably Exp is receiving 0,0 as a valid position (it rejects them if the GPS source says it is invalid).

​Maybe check which sources Exp is receiving position from. There may be several - GPS, AIS, Plotter etc. You can tell Exp to not use position from other NMEA 2000 nodes,

7/23/2017 10:19 am  #3

Thanks, I had not considered that.  There may be as many as 4 GPS talkers on the NMEA 2K bus,  The Zeus are configured to use a ZG100 as the source.  There is also a Vesper XB6000 attached.  I'll check it out.

Related question.  Looking at the log file.  What specific criteria does Exp use to determine an incoming GPS Position is valid/usable?  And will the log file indicate that GPS position is incoming from several sources?

Cheers

7/23/2017 12:55 pm  #4

Multiple, competing GPS input sources would seem the likely cause of this?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aogyrf3tyN8FjwrP99vtqcBLZ_V0

Nick, I'm not at the boat, so not plugged into the 2K bus.  I configure GPS sources in Instruments/Serial and network ports?  Or must I configure the Actisense 2K/USB converter to filter unwanted 2K devices/PGNs?

Last edited by WoobaGooba (7/23/2017 1:31 pm)

7/23/2017 1:29 pm  #5

That also suggests a bad GPS/antenna to me. 

​yes, you select in Exp's NMEA 2000 interface. 

7/23/2017 1:52 pm  #6

The offending log file.  Some pretty weird GPS related values until it settles down near the end.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aogyrf3tyN8FjwtoF6k-u7z4Nw7G

Does the log provide any way to track the values back to the source?

7/30/2017 5:06 am  #7

I got back to the boat and examined the N2K traffic (both with Exp and the Actisense logger).  Sure enough, there were 4 GPS sensors chirping away.  I configured Exp to use GPS only from the desired receiver, with the other three set to Do Not Use GPS.  The jumpy track immediately stabilized.

Not sure if this will just mask the 0,0 track point issue, as  I suspect one of the 4 GPS had reported a valid position of 0,0.  I'll have to examine the Actisense log capture.

Board footera