Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2017 4:27 am  #1

LongPac Course Optimization

Trying to figure out if Expedition can do an optimal route for LongPac.

The course is basically start under the Golden Gate Bridge and cross 126 40' and then back to Golden Gate.  You may cross 126 40' anywhere you like.  Obviously the shortest course is to sail due west cross the line and then sail due east, but that is not always the fastest course, sometimes a point north works better sometimes south.

I know I can set up a few different courses each with a mark spaced out alone that line of Longitude and optimize each one and check the results but I am curious if there is a way to set this course up in Expedition and have it find the optimal route?

Thank
John

5/31/2017 8:43 am  #2

Re: LongPac Course Optimization

I would start putting a mark far west of 126 40 and route towards that mark.  This gives in indication if on your way towards 126 40 there is a preference for the north or south.   Then from the point where that track crosses 126 40 start putting a mark and do the full return trip routing.  Then move the mark with intervals accross the 126 40 line and find a sort of optimum.

Board footera