Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2017 2:36 am  #1

Time on Optimal Results Panel

What might cause the time, delta, and finish values to no longer appear on the optimal results panel after I optimize a course? No errors given, and the details of the course look just fine. Course distance is about 40nm, and I have set this up in Expedition many times in the past and seen the times.

5/05/2017 5:00 am  #2

Re: Time on Optimal Results Panel

JP,
Look at Sail/Polar and see if you accidently typed in "1" where you meant "100" in the "%" Box
Ernie

5/05/2017 5:20 am  #3

Ernie - I have them set at 100%.

5/05/2017 7:29 am  #4

JP
The only other things that I found that gave that result also gave an Opt Err message.  
Maybe talk to Nick??

12/22/2018 10:03 pm  #5

I am now experiencing same problem -- time, delta and finish times no longer appear on optimal results panel after optimizing course.  No errors reported during optimization, and course looks OK.  Problem started last week when I was running 10.9.16.  I have since upgraded 10.9.17 but problem persists.  Any idea as to cause, and how to fix?

12/23/2018 1:28 am  #6

It could mean you aren't getting to the finish.

12/23/2018 2:15 am  #7

Thanks, that was issue.  My routing was based on a subset of the race (Sydney to Hobart), and the last mark of the routing was set "leave to starboard", as for the race.  Changing the last mark of the routing to "sail to mark" solved problem. So I infer that a valid course for Exp routing must sail to (not past) a specific mark.

12/23/2018 2:34 pm  #8

The isochronal algorithm can only route to marks. The grid algorithm can leave marks to one side.

You will get a warning for the isochronal one though, so you problem is more likely to be running out of weather forecast or not being able to reach the finish because of land etc.

12/23/2018 11:58 pm  #9

Well, I was wrong about the problem being solved with a change to the mark setting, which is consistent with your comment, as I am running a grid routing (specifically because of the ability to leave marks to one side).  When I edited the routing course to change the mark setting, I inadvertently changed the active routing to the full course for the Sydney Hobart race, and the routing ran fine without any problems.  But if I use the routing course (which starts outside Sydney Heads and is just to Iron Pot), the routing summary does not complete.  Since the full course routing works fine, there appears to be sufficient weather data.  Any other ideas as to cause?

1/09/2019 11:49 pm  #10

Nick -- I figured out cause of problem during the race.  A race note surrounding the end of the routing was set to "avoid", which prevented the routing from finishing.  So overall problem was not being able to finish, as your surmised, just for a different reason.  Thx for help.

Board footera