Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2017 12:58 pm  #1

User Interface freezes in 'Follow Boat' mode

Hello All,

​I'm a new Expedition User and experiencing a freeze of the user face in 'Follow Boat' mode. This is happening during sailing as well as at home in simulator mode. Usually this freeze is noticed long after starting 'follow boat' mode. The only way to get the interface back is by using the task manager and to restart Expedition. The logging however has continued during the freeze, so the important data is available.

​I'm using Windows 10, all the energy saving options have been disabled, as is auto update. Interestingly the freeze always happens after a little over 90 minutes of enabling 'follow boat'. This is happening with and without WiFi connection or other apps running. Software and drivers are up to date. Hardware is a Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet, i7/2.7 GHz, 4 GB RAM, SSD 120 GB.

​At this moment I have no clue other than perhaps running out of RAM...

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Best, wim

4/07/2017 3:20 pm  #2

Re: User Interface freezes in 'Follow Boat' mode

Hello,
What type of charts are you using?
One thing I often suggest is to run the Expedition System restore in case something has gone wrong.
Nick

4/08/2017 11:05 am  #3

Hi Nick,

The charts are C-Map.

​Sorry for asking, but I'm a Mac user. What exactly is an Expedition system restore? Uninstall and than reinstall Expedition and replace the Expedition Program Data folder? I'd like to be sure before I loose C-Map charts, Sailcharts, Tests etc....

​Best, wim

4/09/2017 12:52 am  #4

Hello,

MAX on CD or 4D C-map charts?

​It just resets Expedition settings saved in the registry. It is an app installed with Exp. You can always back up the Exp data folder for safe keeping too.

4/09/2017 10:50 am  #5

When I run Exp in simulate mode at home I have the same issue as Wim:  after about 90 minutes Exp freezes when using 'follow boat'.  Exp 4D 10.5.18 with C-map 4D.   W10 pro.

Haven't tried at the boat so can only comment on simulator mode.

4/09/2017 1:36 pm  #6

Thanks for that. Will do some testing ...

4/09/2017 8:45 pm  #7

Hello,
​I've had a couple of Exp 4D running all day and haven't been able to replicate this. 
​I briefly thought I had, but then realised the playback had got to the end of the file.
What sort of GPU do you have?
​Nick

Last edited by Nick (4/09/2017 8:46 pm)

4/09/2017 10:03 pm  #8

My system:
- Lenovo T440 with i5 CPU and 5G RAM.  GPU is an Intel HD graphics 4400

In my case Exp hung when I has the simulator running with 'noise' and 'polar bsp' options enabled.
I will now start the simulator again and see if I get the same result.   Will report back here.

4/10/2017 11:34 am  #9

I had the PC running today:
- Two times with the simulator (with the polar BSP and Noise option enabled).  Exp crashes after 1,5 - 2 hours
- Two times while playing back a log file.  Exp crashes eventually, but it takes more time (2-3,5 hours) before it does so   (and the log file was for the entire 24 hour).

4/10/2017 12:40 pm  #10

I'm not sure what to suggest. I will keep it running on a computer here today, but am not hopeful about replicating it given nothing happened yesterday. This has Intel HD graphics.

​If it is just the 4D build, the C-Map part uses OpenGL, so maybe make sure the drivers are up to date.

Board footera