Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2015 11:57 am  #1

Apple Watch?

Long time lurker, first time writer...I absolutely love both Expedition and Ventus.

Are there any plans to add an Apple Watch applet? It would be so awesome to have the haptic feedback during a countdown, or as a layline is approached. What about a buzz when he boat stays below 80% of polar as for more than x minutes? Plus, having access to the display info while my phone is safely below would be priceless.

If you look at the total addressable market of just Ronstan's starting watch, it is obvious that people want access on their wrists. If you look at the Apple Watch adoption, ~75% market share, and compare that to the demographics of your current customers I'm sure there would be a significant overlap. The number of Apple Watches at the yacht club is already significant.

Thoughts?

10/29/2015 12:57 pm  #2

Re: Apple Watch?

It is on our list to do, but we haven't given it high priority. We did relase support for the Pebble watch for the Android version and have had only three people tht downloaded it. So far on 2 people have really asked for a watch interface for our iOS version and one of those was for the Pebble instead of the Apple Watch. So for all of you out the​re, let us know if it is an important upgrade to you, and which watch to support. Harry

11/01/2015 11:41 am  #3

I bought a pebble because of Ventus support.   it will probably be used just for racing but I think it was a pretty great choice.   inexpensive enough that we can carry spares and e-ink is great for battery life.   So other support is fine but the original one fit the profile that I look for.

for the survey our crew is all android with a couple of ipads.

11/03/2015 5:13 pm  #4

Never occurred to me, I must be an old curmudgeon.  I use Ventus on an iPhone 5 in a Lifeproof case with a wrist strap, it works fine.  But when I go to an iPhone 6 I'll get a neck strap, the wrist strap is too difficult to change in and out of with wet weather gear etc.

11/23/2015 7:24 pm  #5

OK so I bit the bullet and bought a pebble watch after hearing there had only been 3 downloads. I hope to drum up a bit of interest as it is a great idea. However, I have not got it going correctly yet. Seems to be some issue getting the app onto the pebble watch... probably user error. I will report back. Cheers, Will.

11/25/2015 5:00 am  #6

Will, let me know if you have any problems getting it setup.
Harry

3/04/2016 1:31 pm  #7

For what it's worth, I could see a watch interface akin to the old school racing watches I recall from the '60s and '70s. 

Using Macbook ==> Bootcamp ==> Expd, Have Ipads, Iphone so probably Apple Watch. 

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

4/20/2016 3:31 pm  #8

Pebble Watch for iOS ++

Pebbles are cheaper, better in light, longer battery life and much much more rugged then apple watches (I have both).

I could see a lot of navi's buying some old kickstarter pebbles if this was on iOs ventus.

4/21/2016 4:28 am  #9

I've recently bought a Pebble with exactly this in mind, I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out this season.

5/10/2016 1:18 pm  #10

Our iOS version 3.1 of VentusPRO has just been released with support for the Pebble watch.

Board footera