Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2017 2:37 pm  #1

WX Worx Grib Files

While looking for ways to find and download Grib Files while racing, when Wi-Fi signals are weak or not available, I wondered if WX Worx could be a source for them.  If a Sat Comm system went down, and Wi-Fi was not an option, it seems that the technology involved with WX Worx could be a source, if it was set up to do so, to provide Grib Files.  With WX Worx on the boat, which has an antenna that receives data from a Satellite, is it technically feasible to access Grib Files with this system?  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2/20/2017 10:38 pm  #2

Re: WX Worx Grib Files

Any opinions all?  Is this a feasible way of avoiding satellite fees, which are becoming fairly nasty

2/21/2017 12:05 am  #3

From memory, a couple of the files are in grib format, but just analyses.

​I don't think they serve Australia ...

2/21/2017 5:13 am  #4

I think you're talking about a piece of hardware with WX Worx.  You still need a Sirius XM Subscription.  So you should start on the www.siriusxm.com web site then determine what hardware and software either Sirius XM or WX Worx to get the gribs to your PC.

The down side, of situations where you need hardware to do the job, is there is no cheap way to "try it out". 

Other providers like Great Circle Squid have a low end 'subscription' (free even) where you can try out the product and see if it works for you.

IMHO There are lots of ways to get gribs including SSB on the cheap but you get what you pay for.  If you want to get the full functionallity built into Exp you really need a satphone data link.    If your races are shorter and you can't justify the cost; download your WX at the dock and go with that.

4/20/2017 8:34 am  #5

I have tried to use the Expedition WxWorx interface and have never gotten it to work.  No idea what I'm doing wrong either, I enter directory but never seems to work.

Board footera