Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2017 2:52 am  #1

System Settings

Really great that I can now point Expedition to a customised set of data folders rather than the defaults.  I now plan to use Google Drive / OneDrive / iCloud etc. to auto synch and back up the data files across a couple of Expedition instances - on on the boat one in the office on a more powerful PC..

Before I set this up, I'm wondering if because the Expedition Licence file is located in the main data directory whether synching across PCs will render one Expedition instance or more inoperative through introducing the wong licence file?  This file needs to be unique to each PC as I understand it.

2/01/2017 3:05 am  #2

Re: System Settings

Hello,
The Exp licence file should remain in the original data folder.

3/02/2017 2:01 am  #3

With the ability to have customised data folders is there a way of having separate profiles so that one shortcut can load a specific configuration a second shortcut can load an alternative configuration and a third for training. We sail with different polars and sails for inshore versus offshore it would be great just to have a shortcut for each.

3/02/2017 3:27 am  #4

Keith,
What I do is under the Sail tab is click on Polars  and use Save As to create a new Polar with a new name e.g. KeithsBoatInshore then make the appropriate changes
Same for the SailChart ...Save As KeithsBoatNoJT  etc

Once you set them up its pretty easy to switch back and forth.

Am I missing something?
Cheers,
Ernie

3/02/2017 4:34 am  #5

Yes quite happy with creating, saving loading the polars, sail charts etc but want to make it easier to flit from one configuration to another so that I don't have to manually change expedition configuration every time we change our sailing configuration. Just one short cut and it loads the polars and sailcharts that match our sailing mode

3/02/2017 4:43 am  #6

KeithW wrote:

Yes quite happy with creating, saving loading the polars, sail charts etc but want to make it easier to flit from one configuration to another so that I don't have to manually change expedition configuration every time we change our sailing configuration. Just one short cut and it loads the polars and sailcharts that match our sailing mode

I won't recommend multiple complete sets of Exp files/configuration in your case. All changes you make to the Exp settings and config you then need to consistently apply to both your in- and offshore config.
As it seems you only want to polars and sail charts to be different for in- and offshore, what you can do is have Exp pointing to files called (e.g.)  "polar" and "sail chart".  Then you create two batch files (inshore and offshore) to copy the polar and sailchart for that situation to these 2 files Exp is configure to use.  When starting exp it will then use the polar/sail chart depending on which batch file you ran last.

Last edited by ZeeZee (3/02/2017 11:25 pm)

3/02/2017 5:49 am  #7

Thanks will have a play

Board footera