Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2015 4:37 pm  #1

Microsoft, Windows 7 and Windows 10

As you'll probably all be aware, MS is pushing Windows 10.  I see that it appears impossible to maintain patches etc on Windows 7 without having a Windows 10 upgrade thrust upon oneself.  I won't start on the ethics involved in this.

Two questions:
a) Is there any software reason for not accepting the inevitable and installing Windows 10 (i.e. assuming there is no hardware impediment)
b) Is there any way of circumventing this and continung to load Win 7 updates, patches etc.

Cheers

10/19/2015 4:37 pm  #2

Re: Microsoft, Windows 7 and Windows 10

My personal opinion is that there are many concerns with Windows 10 but at this point most of them are theoretical.   One of the larger ones is the significant changes to the update policy & mechanisms.  Imagine pulling grib files on race day and getting a surprise system update pushed out with it.   These things tend to sort themselves out in time but  I will not risk W10 until I can be sure of controlling when changes are made to the system. 

The forced upgrade situation is a prime example.  The folks that had automatic updates enabled just got it.  This was explained by Microsoft as an "accident".   

As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update (WU) control panel. This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows. In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check.

10/19/2015 5:21 pm  #3

Thanks for this Gams.  It sounds as though you are not recommending accepting the Win 10 fait accompli just yet, so also forgoing the dubious pleasure of Windows 7 updates in the interim.
I feel a post-Syd/Hobart project coming on, much more about UAT than about installation itself.  Pity that the install is not easily reversible should UAT discover something important.
Cheers

10/27/2015 10:26 am  #4

Duncan, upgraded the 'boat' machine to windows 10 as it was the end of the session but have been having connections problems as a result.

I have disabled the firewall, stats reports and changed updates to manual but have still not resolved the problem. I get connection timeout for predictwind and when checking for upgrades from time to time. It is more stable with theyr (and likely to use them for UK weather next session) but still an on going issue.

Board footera