Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/02/2016 1:43 pm  #1

Weather to avoid function not working

Hi Sailors,
My v10.3.7 doesn't care what values I input under Settings - Opt Advanced in the Avoid fields.
Routes me right through some pretty nasty weather despite having input some lower limit values... not so nice.
Any ideas to what I might be doing wrong? 

Thanks, Hans

1/02/2017 2:27 am  #2

Re: Weather to avoid function not working

Am I the only one having this issue?
Anybody using v10.3.7 where this actually works?

1/02/2017 3:48 am  #3

Using 10.5.4. I just tested it and it works perfectly for me (setting wind limits; have not tested with wave height).   Exp routed to avoid the set limits or gave an error in case it was not able to find a route within the specified wind limits.   When running multiple route optimizations I see Exp each time calculating a different route when I change the limits slightly.  

Propose you upgrade to 10.5.4 first and try again.  Hope that works!

1/02/2017 11:37 am  #4

Hello ZeeZee,
Thanks a lot for your response.
I have now upgraded, and have been playing around with the 10.5.4 version. I am however sorry to say that I still don't see this working as expected. 
I start off with really high limits; 20m waves & 50 kts wind, and then run Optimize. I subsequently gradually reduce the wind limit values, and re-optimize. My findings are that Expedition does make some changes to the routing, but anyhow routes me through areas with significantly more wind than the limits I have input.

1/02/2017 12:26 pm  #5

I see this is only for the grid based algorithm. Will look at adding it to the isochronal

1/02/2017 12:55 pm  #6

VIN,
And are the high winds still there once the boat has 'arrived' at those places were the 'current' wind is that high?   Can be that by that time the wind has already decrease to below the defined limit.  Check the results of the optimum routing to verify the actual winds the boat will see at the time it will sail over the optimized route.

Last edited by ZeeZee (1/02/2017 12:56 pm)

1/03/2017 12:40 am  #7

Nick: Yes, you are right - it seems to be working correctly when using the grid based algorithm; thanks.
ZeeZee: I get "current" wind from displaying Results and then selecting the relevant opt route.

Board footera