Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2015 9:23 pm  #1

Using Expedition to derive TWA, TWS and TWD

I've owned and been using Expedition for about 6 months now.  Used on a couple of distance races (Mac and Queens' Cup) and an extended delivery.   It is awesome, very "deep" and capable.

I'm in the process of outfitting my new (to me) C&C 34/36+ racer/cruiser with electronics to replace the 20+-year-old B&G network instruments.   

I've been looking at a couple of the racing-oriented instrument companies systems.  One uses a proprietary masthead instrument, 3-axis compass and airmar speed paddle, the other recommends the Maretron WS100 acoustic masthead instrument, Airmar 3-axis compass and speed paddle.  Both integrate the sensors to their proprietary brain box using NMEA 2000 and for both the system package price is between $8,000 and $10,000.

What both of these systems offer is very accurate TWA/TWS/TWD/BSP, with compensation for heel, pitch, yaw, roll and leewayto enable the boat to be driven to its polars.  

So my question:  after calibration and with the data available on the NMEA bus from, say, a Maretron WS100 (or Airmar WX200), Airmar HS2183 compass, Airmar ST850 speed sensor and any good NMEA GPS sensor, can I use Expedition to derive and feed back to the NMEA 2000 network TWD/TWS/TWA with comparable accuracy to,a dedicated proprietary brain box (Ockham or B&G come to mind)? 

It looks to me like I can get pretty close to a $10K system for about $3K plus the PC and Expedition that I already own.  Anybody have experience or informed opinion whether I'm on the right track or way off base here?

Thanks!

10/14/2015 7:52 am  #2

Re: Using Expedition to derive TWA, TWS and TWD

skippermdj wrote:

I've owned and been using Expedition for about 6 months now.  Used on a couple of distance races (Mac and Queens' Cup) and an extended delivery.   It is awesome, very "deep" and capable.

I'm in the process of outfitting my new (to me) C&C 34/36+ racer/cruiser with electronics to replace the 20+-year-old B&G network instruments.   

I've been looking at a couple of the racing-oriented instrument companies systems.  One uses a proprietary masthead instrument, 3-axis compass and airmar speed paddle, the other recommends the Maretron WS100 acoustic masthead instrument, Airmar 3-axis compass and speed paddle.  Both integrate the sensors to their proprietary brain box using NMEA 2000 and for both the system package price is between $8,000 and $10,000.

What both of these systems offer is very accurate TWA/TWS/TWD/BSP, with compensation for heel, pitch, yaw, roll and leewayto enable the boat to be driven to its polars.  

So my question:  after calibration and with the data available on the NMEA bus from, say, a Maretron WS100 (or Airmar WX200), Airmar HS2183 compass, Airmar ST850 speed sensor and any good NMEA GPS sensor, can I use Expedition to derive and feed back to the NMEA 2000 network TWD/TWS/TWA with comparable accuracy to,a dedicated proprietary brain box (Ockham or B&G come to mind)? 

It looks to me like I can get pretty close to a $10K system for about $3K plus the PC and Expedition that I already own.  Anybody have experience or informed opinion whether I'm on the right track or way off base here?

Thanks!

As you state, Expedition can calculate TWD/A/S for you (as well as current, leeway), and that is what will be displayed in Expedition when selected. Your challenge is to display these new numbers on deck - you can do this with Garmin displays (10 channels available).

You will also have some powerful and very flexible calibration available.

I've not done this personally (the Garmin displays - but have done a lot of calibraiton in Exp), but should deliver very good results, and very good value for money against a full blown integrated system.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

10/14/2015 10:44 am  #3

Re: Using Expedition to derive TWA, TWS and TWD

I've done something similar with B&G.  I use the mast 20x20s to display values from Expedition  (BSP, HDG, TWS, TWA), replacing the similar values that were coming from the B&G controller directly.  I used the Remote channels in B&G mapped to Expedition channels.  The intent here is to use the Expedition calibrations for these values rather than the B&G ones - mostly because it is a B&G 2000 and kind of a pain the ass to edit the tables.

The only downside now is that the PC must be turned on with Expedition runing to have anything display.  

Board footera