Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2016 7:12 pm  #1

Track issues with B&G H5000 and Expedition

I am using Expedition connected to an H5000 performance system via H-Link.  I have both a B&G ZG100 GPS sensor and a Garmin 19x N2K sensor (and can switch between the two).  I am also using a Precision9 heading sensor.  The only way Expedition receives data is via the H-link connection.

Now here is the problem which is graphically illustrated below -- using either the B&G or Garmin N2K sensors, when you zoom in closely using Expedition to the track you will see "jaggies" in the track -- this I believe is illustrative of the numerical accuracy associated with the position data being transmitted over H-link. 

Has anyone seen this or know of a fix?

By way of comment, on another boat I connected an RS-232 Garmin 19x directly to Expedition and did not get any of the "jaggies".  In looking at the raw data it appears to have more decimal places (ie - higher precision) than that received over H-Link.

Last edited by kwelch (9/30/2016 7:13 pm)

10/07/2016 4:53 am  #2

Re: Track issues with B&G H5000 and Expedition

This is due to the resolution of the GPS data being output/passed through by H-Link - Expedition is plotting the data as it is received.

Last edited by Campbell_Field (10/07/2016 4:53 am)

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

10/07/2016 1:40 pm  #3

Yes, that has always been the case with HLink, which is one reason why we normally have a separate GPS feed to Exp.

10/10/2016 6:36 pm  #4

Thanks for this thread, guys. I will lose no time in re-configuring the GPS feed on the boat where those inexplicable zig-zags in the track have been driving me crazy for two years.    

10/10/2016 8:12 pm  #5

For some reason, you get 3 decimal places in minutes with HLink.

​Generally you get 4 or 5 decimal places with NMEA 0183.

10/14/2016 6:42 pm  #6

This is exactly what I thought which is why I wend to a GPS wired directly into expedition as suggested above...

1/19/2017 10:20 am  #7

Now we need to see how many decimal places we get using the H5000 websocket interface -- hopefully we can get more.

Board footera