Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2016 9:56 am  #1

Routing with race notes causing route to be at < 5 TWA

I have been working on a routing solution for an upcoming race and decided to try adding in some race notes to keep within 5 miles of the rhumb line.  In doing so it caused my route to go head to wind for a portion of the trip where it would have crossed the race note.   Is there something i need to switch on or off to make the avoidance cause a tack / gybe to keep the boat out of irons? 

9/02/2016 10:22 am  #2

Re: Routing with race notes causing route to be at < 5 TWA

​Numbers in parentheses imply tacking or gybing. They may be reduced on the Optimal settings page

9/02/2016 10:41 am  #3

am i misunderstanding the TWA and Targ columns in the output?  
I am seeing TWD T of 072, a TWA of (-2) and a Targ of 038  which i assumed meant my target TWA should be -2 (which would be in irons) but if i was to use the Targ of 38 leads me to a more proper course upwind.  Is this the correct way to interpret this? 
Sorry for the super noob question...  

9/02/2016 11:05 am  #4

Actually, i figured out my issue.  I had unchecked prefer tacks and Gybes as routing steps.  This fixed the isochronal route but in the grid route is still has a straight line during the edge cases of my bounds.  (was expecting to see the tacks in the route.  I misunderstood the use of that checkbox. 

Board footera