Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2016 8:36 am  #1

H5000 Wireless H-Link

I have a Panasonic ToughPAD and rather than remote desktop into a hardwired computer I was thinking about various options for getting access to Expedition.  Some choices:

1..  Use wifi to extend the USB h-link port so that Expedition can access it -- this will require a wireless USB extender, plus some emulation on the ToughPAD.  
2.  According to B&G the live data is available on the H5000 by LAN, so perhaps there is a way to have Expedition access this data in a bi-directional manner using this.  This would be infinitely preferred over H-link since I already have a small network on the boat.

Note that this is a small boat and I am trying to keep things as simple as possible, avoiding a second computer if at all possible.

8/26/2016 8:42 am  #2

Re: H5000 Wireless H-Link

The easiest way is using Ventus.

8/26/2016 10:03 am  #3

Understand -- but then you need both a computer below and Ventus.  I was hoping to have a small mobile battery powered device (windows based) which directly accessed the H5000.

8/26/2016 12:46 pm  #4

Yes, you can use an RS422 to wifi adaptor (eg Moxa) to send HLink over Wifi.
There will be other solutions in the future.

9/30/2016 7:20 pm  #5

To update the forum of the results of this exercise -- I found a mini 12v PC and connect it directly to the H5000 processor by both H-Link (USB) and an ethernet cable.  The PC has a wifi adapter and I created a static-IP ad-hoc network.  I now can access the H5000 wirelessly from my tablet (accessing the built-in H5000 web page), plus I can use remote desktop to get to Expedition.

An interesting find was that more calibration functions are available from the web page than from the graphic displays... B&G should fix this.

Now if future versions of Expedition could send/receive data by Ethernet I could dump the USB connection which would probably be a good thing.  I believe this is in the works...

Last edited by kwelch (9/30/2016 7:21 pm)

10/04/2016 9:52 am  #6

kwelch wrote:

An interesting find was that more calibration functions are available from the web page than from the graphic displays... B&G should fix this.

I suspect that this will go somewhere near the bottom of the very long list of bugs needed to be fixed with the H5000 system. 

FYI Those calibration settings can also be accessed via the Zeus range of plotters.

Board footera