Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2016 11:11 am  #1

Import Courses / routes

In the Mark Management window it's easy to open a route, click on Details then Export that route to, say, a thumb drive on the home computer.

So now the thumbdrive has a nice little csv file; can I import that route into the boat computer?

I tried on the Marks tab / Import /CSV and can see the thumb drive file and select it but when I click Open it just goes back to the chart?

Am I missing something?  (obviously)
TIA

8/23/2016 12:00 pm  #2

Re: Import Courses / routes

On further investigation it seems that the csv format for the exported file comes out with a slightly different format than that expected  i.e. It has
mark,,lat,long  (note the double commas)
rather than
mark,lat,long

When I 'clean' up the csv file and remove that extra 'column' created by the two commas following the mark, I can then 'Import' it's OK

The 'Expedition Help' file shows the same format for both Import and Export

Could this be a glitch?

8/23/2016 12:11 pm  #3

Are you using an old Exp? It seems ok here.

You can also just copy the marks.dat file or use GPX.

Last edited by Nick (8/23/2016 12:14 pm)

8/24/2016 5:13 am  #4

Nick,
Just updated, I was only one release 'old'.
Still no joy.
Interestingly, when I look at a 'route' and click Details;
the header row shows very light gridlines and you can see an extra column (blank)between "Mark" and "Latitude"

going further...

It appears to be creating a cloumn for the 'course' detail in the 'Mark Properties' i.e. "leave mark to port/starboard/sail to"  if checked the P or S does show up in the second column of the exported csv file.

This only happens when I click Details under Mark management I get the marks of the active route.

If I use on the tool bar Export/CSV I get a perfectly formated file but it is NOT the 'active' route.

Most mysterious

8/24/2016 12:25 pm  #5

Try using export from the marks ribbon panel ...

8/24/2016 3:40 pm  #6

Nick,
Not sure what you mean by 'ribbon' panel?
If from the Marks tab I select 'Export' then 'csv'...
rolling over csv the description balloon shows "Export marks to csv file" which it does but apparently ALL marks not just the 'active' route.

Ernie

8/24/2016 5:34 pm  #7

Yes, that is it. It sounded as if you were doing it from mark management.

The GPX option is probably better anyway. The csv option is just for people doing other things with Excel etc

8/25/2016 4:15 am  #8

Nick,
I tried both 'Mark Mgmt' and the ribbon as outlined above.

Maybe this should be in 'Exp Improvements' section but it would be nice to Export a file to an external device then Import it without changes to Exp on a diferent PC. csv format would allow some slight changes i.e. Mark name etc

With all that said, the answer to my original question, does seem to be just use the GPX (Import and Export) from the ribbon.  I tried this Exporting to both a thumb drive and a Garmin device (Quatix) and I could then Import from either device to Exp on another platform.

This is a very nice feature as it allows development of multiple race courses on the home/backup machine then taking them to the boat where you might not have so much time.

Thanks for all,
Ernie

8/25/2016 12:38 pm  #9

The one you were having issues with will be from mark management, which is an export for a different reason. The export from the ribbon doesn't have the extra column and can be imported ok. It only imports marks though.

​The GPX mechanism is definitely the way to achive this though. The csv import is for specific customers.

Last edited by Nick (8/25/2016 1:16 pm)

Board footera