Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2023 3:28 pm  #1

Iridium GO!

Are there any Iridium GO experts on the forum?

There is an Exp user who can't download data with his Iridium GO.

Mine has started doing the same - it connects etc and gets to "Waiting for server ...", but eventually times out. I can see the request never gets to the Exp server, but it is the same for all services.

Others are having no issues, so it seems unusual.

For me, it isn't working for any services (Squid Pw etc). Of course, it could be my free Iridium developer SIM card.

I have this which I find useful  https://sailmail.com/iridium-go-troubleshooting/

Last edited by Nick (6/09/2023 5:22 pm)

6/12/2023 6:04 am  #2

Re: Iridium GO!

Hi Nick,
I don't have a solution for you, just want to mention that I've had trouble previously trying to download data using the Iridium GO if its data I've asked for from within Expedition. When I use the boat's email, however, getting data has never been a problem through Saildocs. When connected to WiFi I can request data through Expedition just fine and get it within seconds, so I'm convinced it must be the limited bandwidth that the Iridium GO is working with. I've changed some of the Iridium settings through the advanced settings page (going to that IP address that is listed in the manual) but haven't found a working combination yet.
Please post if you figure something out that works! I'll do the same.
T

6/12/2023 1:04 pm  #3

For what its worth, I used it on a boat to Bermuda last year, quirky but dependable.  Here's my notes: Once we got used to it , it worked quite well for us.Airmail/Saildocs WX downloads with IridiumGoBox desired WX area in normal fashion and select model using WXData>SaildocsClick 'Airmail' not 'get grib file'Open Airmail select the email that was just created and stage request with mailbox iconExit Airmail (I don't know why)Open Airmail click the green circleWait and mail will goWait a bit more and reply will come back (or leave and come back later)Save attached Grib file in a created  Program.data/Expedition file called TempEM (use your own initials)In Exp Sail>Tracking>Import select latest grib file from TempEM and import it into Program.data/Expedition/gribDone

6/12/2023 7:21 pm  #4

Thanks.

I spent an hour investigating it on the test computer here and have it working nicely now.

In my case, it seemed related to Windows' automatic routing to network adaptors and it probably didn't help that there was a router also with a network address 192.168.0.1.

Have added some trouble-shooting notes to the help for the next update. Now available in the online help pdf.

Last edited by Nick (6/13/2023 10:02 pm)

6/16/2023 6:02 pm  #5

We too have been unable to download grib files with Iridium GO to Expedition. Downloading grib files to PredictWind Offshore however has worked every time????? Same windows10 laptop, same Iridium GO position/location. I observed  that PW appears to reconnect any time the iridium signal gets low or interrupted till download is completed! I downloaded almost 500KB in less than an hour this afternoon. Expedition appears to quit if initial Iridium signal is low and will not retry. The most I got over the last two weeks was 2KB. So why can the Iridium GO stay connected with PW for an hours but only seconds or a few minutes with Expedition?

6/16/2023 7:40 pm  #6

Depending on the weather service (Expedition, YB tracking etc), you can resume broken downloads.

3/29/2024 7:51 pm  #7

Nick, do you have any updates on the "Waiting for the server..." issue?  We had this last summer and now again.  Iridium GO! downloads work fine with PredictWind, Squid, and Sailmail directly, but we always get the Waiting... error when trying to go through Expedition directly.  I read through all of the help info you provided, and didn't actual change anything because things like metering weren't on, the firewall was allowing Expedition, and we had connect automatically only for the Iridium.  We are getting ready for a 20ish day TransAltantic race in 2 weeks an it sure would be nice to grab some of the files through Expedition.

Thanks!

3/29/2024 8:47 pm  #8

Does it do anything at the Iriidum Go?

It may be that Exp isn't being allowed to connect to the Go.

One thing you can try is the address. The default is http://iridiumgo.lan, but your Go may be better connected using (eg) http://192.168.0.1.

Also, make sure you use Direct to Internet as the Access type.

There are some performance updates coming for Go in v12, but that wouldn't affect connections I think.

3/30/2024 5:34 am  #9

It does connect and goes through the steps until Waiting for server and then never gets beyond that before disconnecting.

3/30/2024 12:01 pm  #10

Effectively the interface in Exp just directs the Go to dial up and connect.

Apart from the potential network issues listed in the Exp help for this symptom, I am not sure what else to suggest if you have addresses all those.

There is also a link to the Sailmail help page in the Exp help. From memory, it repeats much of the same ideas as the Exp help, but could be useful.

You could try with manually connecting the Go to the internet as a test.

Board footera