Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2016 6:08 am  #1

How to Use Expedition Software - Where does one get this info?

I just purchase Expedition, (& CMap charts & a new PC for it all), but I am at a loss as to where one gets instructions on how to it. I go the the "?" on the right of the screen and get information but no instructions. It is unimaginable that the software would be sold without "how to" instructions. Can someone point me to the right place?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2/27/2016 7:27 am  #2

Re: How to Use Expedition Software - Where does one get this info?

You can download the Expedition help file here: http://www.expeditionmarine.com/Downloads/Expedition.pdf
​But he Help file in the program is usually the most up to date. Just click on the little question mark in the upper right corner of your Expedition screen and then click on "License and help"

2/27/2016 9:25 am  #3

Ron,
I felt the same way when I started, not so long ago.  One thing I found really helpful was I copied the compiled HTML Help file (about 2,543KB) from the Expedition PC onto a thumb drive and dropped it on the Desktop of my desktop computer in my office where I work on the boat PC.  Then I can have the help file open on the big screen while I'm trying to do things on the laptop.  I was doing the same with the pdf that Ventus mentioned but like he said that is an older version.
I also kept track in a note file what steps I took when I figured how to do some task that I will be using in the future  And then,  use it a lot and it will start to come.  If you get really stuck post it here and you'll usually find a quick response.

2/27/2016 10:27 am  #4

I learned a ton about Expedition painfully, by trial and error and not utilizing the Help file as much as I should have. I then learned a good bit from the North Sails webinars. I have found this forum to be a fantastic resources to resolve issues concerning advanced subject matter which I can't seem to rise above by any other method. I am not an expert by any means but at this point I am optimistic that I can accelerate my learning processes using all three means set forth above but especially this forum. 

2/28/2016 10:59 am  #5

Also, have a read of Will Oxley's e-book

2/28/2016 2:01 pm  #6

Good point Nick ! And a great time to remind Will; a lot of us would love to see the book in hard cover!!  The Kindle version is great but it's just not the same IMHO.

2/28/2016 2:46 pm  #7

I second that Ernie .... I just don't find Kindle a helpful way of learning, whatever merit it has for the world's Book Clubs.
I learn by annotating/highlighting/tabbing a paper copy, and then cross-referencing that marked copy to the problem at hand.
And yes, I suspect no publisher is going to risk a print run on something like this, with holding and distribution costs,

3/14/2016 3:44 am  #8

Message received about hard copy of book. I have just started on another more general book but I have been making plenty of notes for edition two of Modern Race Navigation. One big problem with the hard copy is that the book needs to be in colour to do the figures justice and this is expensive! I'm interested in how much you think people would be prepared to pay for a hard copy!
Cheers, Will.

4/02/2016 9:15 am  #9

Will,
You asked:
"I'm interested in how much you think people would be prepared to pay for a hard copy!"
I paid US$27 for the Kindle version and US$99 for a Kindle Paperwhite  So I wouldn't have hesitated to pay US$50 or more for a real book . The Paperwhite is B&W btw so not really great for the book anyway.  As a comparison in pricing, Wouter's book is selling here or US$31 with lots of colour shots.  I don't know how many they sold, so hard to say if it's viable.
Just do it and tell me where to send the check!
B/R
Ernie

8/24/2016 7:42 pm  #10

Back when I was starting out, I printed the entire "help" document. It was a great resource to learn the program, but tutorials from an experienced user were even better (thank you, Artie Means.)

Board footera