Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2016 8:58 am  #1

Triage Expedition Setup

This seems to have come up a few times both here and on SA. Since I answered with our setup on SA, I thought it might be a good plan to address it here as well, since this is a more targeted group.

We went a different route, with regards to an onboard Expedition system. We currently use a pair of Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 ultrabooks. One is active, and the second is kept in a waterproof cushioned pouch, stored separately.

We made a frame for the Yoga that allows it to be mounted vertically on the bulkhead above the (rear facing) nav station.

For interaction, we use a wireless mouse primarily. We have experimented with wired and wireless keyboards, as well as using the vertical keyboard on the laptop itself. So far I prefer the wired keyboard with 3M Command strips to lock it in place on the nav station surface, but the jury is still out on keyboard.

For better or for worse, we went the route of commodity level hardware that is easily replaced rather than going with a Toughbook or its equivalent. Our arrangement does not interfere with using the nav station as a chart table, nor does it interfere with opening the nav station for access.

On port tack, the nav station does get wet during less than ideal conditions, but the vertical mount on the bulkhead has kept the laptop from getting even a drop over the last 18 months or so, in this configuration.

​If you have any questions about our setup, feel free to reach out!

Last edited by jbehen (2/23/2016 8:59 am)

2/23/2016 3:35 pm  #2

Re: Triage Expedition Setup

Good looking setup.  I have also come down on the side of avoiding devices that fix into bulkheads, and in the process lock you into particular technologies - there are a whole range of plotters etc that do that.  I'm thinking about a laptop stored away, with connections to keyboard (like yours), 2 x screens (Expedition stuff on one, internet sites on the other), both vertically mounted like yours, and cheap to replace if they go wrong.
The only problem with this concept (Nirvana!) is a lack of bulkhead space, taken up with radios, FFD, AIS, barometer, GPS, engine dials, switchboard, satphone etc etc etc.  All cut into the aforesaid bulkhead, and therefore psychologically and physically restricting.  Owners LOVE the idea of cutting different holes in bulkheads!
BTW, how do you drop in a picture?  I'd post a pic of the setup, but couldn't figure out how.

2/23/2016 4:38 pm  #3

Duncan

check out this thread for info on posting pictures :  http://expedition.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=15

F.

2/25/2016 11:19 am  #4

DuncanR wrote:

Good looking setup.  I have also come down on the side of avoiding devices that fix into bulkheads, and in the process lock you into particular technologies - there are a whole range of plotters etc that do that.  I'm thinking about a laptop stored away, with connections to keyboard (like yours), 2 x screens (Expedition stuff on one, internet sites on the other), both vertically mounted like yours, and cheap to replace if they go wrong.
The only problem with this concept (Nirvana!) is a lack of bulkhead space, taken up with radios, FFD, AIS, barometer, GPS, engine dials, switchboard, satphone etc etc etc.  All cut into the aforesaid bulkhead, and therefore psychologically and physically restricting.  Owners LOVE the idea of cutting different holes in bulkheads!
BTW, how do you drop in a picture?  I'd post a pic of the setup, but couldn't figure out how.

The bulkhead in question separates the nav station from the starboard aft quarter berth, and does not back up to the exterior of the boat. If it required drilling holes to the outside, I am sure it would have been less well received.

The two VHF radios, instruments, GPS, etc are all on the same wall as the switchboard that you can see in the picture, and are mounted on a swinging panel. You can see the screw for the swinging panel just to the left of the nav station surface. For sat communication, we use an Iridium Go, which mounts overhead using 3M Command strips. You can see the wire for it in the top left of the picture.

The AIS (Vesper XB-8000) is mounted inside of the swinging panel, next to the B&G processor. 

The overhead light provides both white and red lights, while the gooseneck is red light only.

We also have three 12V sockets. 1 is visible below the switch panel, and two are located inside the nav station itself. Inside the nav station, everything has movable dividers to keep the bits where they belong. We are considering moving to foam inserts (a la pelican case) to further prevent unintended shifting and movement.

We have also discussed the possibility of a USB driven monitor on the side, to provide a bit of extra real estate, but haven't decided to move forward as of yet.

As for posting pictures, I uploaded the pic to Imgur, and then linked it from there.

Board footera