Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2019 11:04 am  #1

WeatherNet and Expedition

Hi,

I'm having difficulty getting GRIBs downloaded through OCENS' WeatherNet product to show up in Expedition.  I've had no problems getting other GRIBs to work with Expedition.  Are there any issues with GRIBS downloaded from OCENS that make them problematic to integrate in Expedition?  

The file is viewable in OCENS' Grib Explorer, but not in Expedition.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

3/05/2019 11:07 am  #2

Re: WeatherNet and Expedition

Below is a link to a combined GRIB downloaded through WeatherNet, which includes surface pressure, wind, and CAPE:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pipdb5p8di0w1b/GFS%20combined.grb?dl=0

3/05/2019 1:15 pm  #3

It seems to be a badly encoded grib file. 

We recently made changes to better handle Grib1 tables in Exp. This had the benefit of rejecting badly formatted grib data.

I will have think about how and if to make an allowance for it in Exp.

Last edited by Nick (3/05/2019 2:05 pm)

3/05/2019 6:36 pm  #4

I've made an exception for this, but it does suggest it might be better getting the data from a service such as Saildocs.

It says it is a custom grib table from the Congo.

3/05/2019 6:52 pm  #5

Nick wrote:

I've made an exception for this, but it does suggest it might be better getting the data from a service such as Saildocs.

It says it is a custom grib table from the Congo.

Ha.  I did reach out to OCENS about this earlier today.  A gentleman named Jeff said he'd be reaching out to you about this issue.

3/13/2019 8:08 am  #6

Nick,

We found that the issue was that Expedition was reading a value that is assigned to a "weather center". We were not aware of any applications needing to reading this value because it does not have any impact on the data, thus we have not bothered to assign it when compiling the files.  We therefor just set it to "1" and then ignore it. Is Expedition using this value for something particular?

I might also add that our WeatherNet service provides access to a larger selection of weather and ocean data than what you are limited to with Saildocs.

Jeff Thomassen
OCENS

Last edited by wavejumper (3/13/2019 8:45 am)

Board footera